Hacerse, volverse, ponerse and other verbs of change in Spanish.
Remember these verbs and phrasal verbs (apart from llegar a ser) are reflexive. This means that you need to use the following pronouns:
Me (I) / Te (you) / se (she/he/it) / nos (we) /os (you guys) /se (they)
The verb in whatever tense you choose.
Ok, let's dive into it!
- Voluntary and involuntary change
- Usually, happens after a process of some kind
Ex: Se hizo comunista - he/she became a communist.
- Religion Ex: Me hice católica - I became catholic.
Ex: Mi abuela se hizo muy mayor – My grandma became very old.
Ex: Se hizo médico – He/she became doctors.
Ex: Se hizo tarde – It became late.
- Involuntary change
- The result is quite permanent
- Personality traits
Ex: Se volvió muy celoso - He became very jealous.
Ex: Te volviste española - You became Spanish.
- Involuntary change
- The result is quite temporary
Ex: Me puse enferma – I got sick.
Ex: Te pusiste muy triste – You got very sad
Ex2: The expression “ponerse rojo/colorado” – to blush.
Ex: Se puso muy guapa– She made herself pretty.
- Mostly an unexpected change
- It can be temporary or permanent
- Usually negative
- Adjectives for states (widow, pregnant, blind, deaf, orphan, disable, etc) or behaviour/reaction.
Ex: Se quedó viuda – She became a widow.
Ex: Se quedaron callados – They got quiet.
Ex: Me quedé embarazada – I became pregnant.
Ex: Me quedé sorprendida – I was surprised.
LLEGAR A SER:
- Voluntary and wanted change
- It usually happens after a long time and effort
- Nouns (usually jobs).
Ex: Llegó a ser presidente - He became the president. Ex2: Llegué a ser abogada - I became a lawyer.
Ex: Llegasteis a ser ricos y famosos – You guys became rich and famous.
CONVERTIRSE EN / TRANSFORMARSE EN
- Tends toward the voluntary action rather than involuntary
- Deep big change, with neutral or positive connotations
Without adjective after:
Ex: El capullo se convirtió en una mariposa – The cocoon became a butterfly.
With adjective after: Ex: Se convirtió en una persona importante – He/she became an important person.
Hasta luego! :)